Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Something to talk about

At long last I Mike have decided to post something on our Blog. Now you might expect it to be something about how our crib progress is going, or maybe the brand new entertainment center I built. Or even some exciting news about work or graduate school developments.... Nah, I just wanna talk about Breaking Dawn of course! Silly people :)
I finished it last night, but before you all are shocked that it took me three days to read it, let me explain the process in which someone with a Y chromosome reads the Twilight series. So Kate has been increasingly interested in reading the saga and me being an avid reader decided to try them out. I picked up Twilight about a week ago and finished it in a day and a half. Stephenie Meyers is one talented writer! New Moon took 2 days, and they were miserable! Stephenie Meyers is again a talented writer, but come on, did you really have to yank out the only true cool guy for the majority of the book? Eclipse, I started and finished on Saturday, the whole time bugging Kate to "hurry" with Breaking Dawn. And finally on Sunday night I got to start the first chapter of Breaking Dawn. Then I finished it all yesterday. ( Don't take the one day to read thing as me showing abnormal interest in the series, I ALWAYS read things fast.)
Overall I give her a 8.5 out of 10. In my mind beating out Harry Potter ( remove book 7 from the list and I give them a Tie, I have some serious problem with Rowlings after I read 7, Lame Lame Lame) and ranking up there with most of my favorite authors; Terry Brooks, Tad Williams, William R. Forstchen, Tom Clancy, and a smattering of great classic writers. Now for some critiques:

  • S.M. knows how to write good readable novels. This may sound like a no brainer, but I hear often from my best friend (www.thehellands.com or his Amazon Site) about the joys of rewriting a manuscript for publication. It says a TON about someone who can write easy, readable, adjective skinny material.
  • Vampires a just plain cool. I readily admit that the Saga is geared to female readers, and until Breaking Dawn I would have said teenager females :) But not so much any more ( the whole discussion on unlimited sexual stamina and plenty of free time at night, along with the whole honeymoon section started to erode that concept) Still, vampires rock; speed, strength, grace, Jedi like powers, tons of money, near indestructible, whats not to envy?
  • I think S.M. lacks in writing good action sequences. If ever she were to read this blog, she would do well to check out William R. Forstchen and the Lost Regiment series. That has to be some of the clearest, most potent, rousing, kick-their-butt-cry-with-them-as-they-die action I've ever read. Notable points in the series where this is lacking? The first encounter with James coven in the baseball field. The ballet studio rescue. Some of Bella's accidents in New Moon, including her drowning. The Victoria and Edward showdown is one of the decent action sequences I admit. But come one, the ultimate showdown? I felt she could have taken that in some very cool directions... the LA Times book review mentioned that since there was no final battle, she could have taken out 200 some odd pages of pointless detail. An apt summary. If she was going to spend all this time working us up, introducing vampires, secret plans and new skills, just to have them have a tense 15 minutes then walk away from the biggest battle royale conceivable? Tears people. It brings tears to my eyes to have to be let down like that. I don't know if I should even mention all the possible pathways that final climax could have taken! The Volturi divided and half attacked, no Volturi witnesses and a fairer fight, and last but not least, some of the good guys actually end up dying (gasp, no!). I'm not in favor of that one myself, but I just felt like by reading all the detail I was paying for my ticket to the coolest fight since Yoda took on the Emperor.
  • S.M. doesn't quite capture male characters thoughts very well. I read the extra chapter of Midnight Sun, and along with Jacobs perspective in Breaking Dawn, she just doesn't convince me that any guy can be quite that sensitive and girly. Now I think I'm a decently sensitive guy, I have emotions, I share them, I cry at times. But if my wife has a beautiful voice (which I think she does) I don't say " her voice broke over me like the gentle babbling of a mountain brook, enchanting my every sense" I say "My wife has a beautiful voice, (and if I'm really feeling it) and I could listen to it all day long".
  • Along the same vein however, I got a kick out of reading Jacob's perspective. The phrase that left me howling in laughter was his summary of Edwards idea as to "Shack up and procreate" S.M. may not write guys very good, but she does do it well enough to make me really get a feel for who they are.
All in all it's a good read, I'm excited to get my hands on The Host next. But maybe just to retain my image my next post will be on something to do with woodworking or manly things.

3 comments:

Jess said...

You're in such big trouble! I haven't finished reading your blog because I haven't finished reading the book. I didn't want to possibly spoil it. Some people go to work on Monday ;)

Jess said...

You're still in trouble, but I have to agree with you. I thought there was WAY too much build up and boring detail not to have a more intense climax. However, I believe she made it very nerve racking nonetheless.

Athack77 said...

Yea, a guy who has actually read the whole series and I know who he is!! I think your point about the fighting (or lack there of) is well stated. My gut tells me that SM is not done with the series and she will write another book because the fans will bug her enough that she'll eventually concede after mignight son is out. She still has some where to go with the story if she chooses to. It would be fun to see how things could work out for Jacob since all the die-hard Jacob fans feel like her got jipped(sp) I still think that SM should have the good vampires take out the bad aka:Volturi but then who would keep all the lawless vampire in check and keep us unsuspecting humans in the dark. I do feel like JK Rowlings at least gave us a real ending. SM left me hanging...or maybe Edward is just to yummy as a fictional character to quit? Sigh...I look forward to the movie and the additional book!