Monday, November 15, 2010

How the kiddo came

So for any body who wants the details; here's some stuff about how Everett joined our family. I was scheduled for my c-section on Monday and since he didn't want to come early on his own, that's when we headed to the hospital.
After pawning off Daylin to Devin and Melia, we checked in around 9:30am. First they needed to draw some blood and get my IV in. Well I guess I hit the nurses on an off day because it took three of them and several tears from me to actually accomplish it. My left arm has 2 spectacular bruises on it and when nurse #2 tried to put the IV in my hand it felt like she was literally breaking the bones in my hand (hence the tears). After a bunch of paper work, dilly dally stuff and being pushed back for an emergency c-section, they finally wheeled me into operating room. The anesthesiologist started doing his thing, which wasn't so bad the first time....that's right... the first time, since he had to do it twice. The first spinal tap didn't work so I got to be stuck again. And unfortunately, the consequences of which are painful migraines. The headaches are finally starting to subside now, and I'm able to take less of the pain killers. Also while in the operating room they were putting in my catheter and had a little woopsy. The nurse installing it accidentally broke a piece off while doing the job and pee shot everywhere. Oops... sorry about that. Sorry if that is TMI.
After all the silly little hiccups, things went pretty quickly. They pulled him out but he didn't really cry very much. They were concerned his lungs weren't working well, so he got to spend the first 6 hours of his life under oxygen.
It turned out that our little guy is just super "lazy." Even now he doesn't really cry much. He's a pretty calm kiddo, which a refreshing change from Daylin who was a bit more high maintenance as an infant. He eats really well and we get plenty of sleep at night so there isn't too much to complain about.
I had a bit of a rougher recovery than I remember having with Daylin. As is typical with most c-sections, constipation was in issue. The pressure of that problem was translating all through my body... and that in combination with sleeping on the hospital bed in an awkward position left me with an extremely sore neck, shoulders and back the second day. It was so bad, I was having a really hard time breathing, which translated to more crying and mild anxiety attacks. Fortunately, that was the worst of it and I am feeling way better now.

Daylin had a bit of a hard time at the hospital too. She was having her own little anxiety attacks as she doesn't do well being cooped up... especially in hospital/doctor offices. Luckily for all of us, my doctor let me go after 48 hours. It was so nice to get home. We love having Everett here and he is such a blessing in our lives. Daylin loves him too... she is such a good big sister and loves to hold him and give him kisses. Everett is a good little brother because he puts up with it 20 times a day :)

4 comments:

James Yvonne and Elise said...

Congratulations you guys! He is darling and sounds like such a good baby. We wish we were in Lubbock to meet him!

Jill said...

Sounds a lot like our experience the second time around. I really don't understand why so many people prefer c-sections. But then I've never had it another way. Anyways glad you're feeling better and your little one is doing well and the family is adjusting!

Elaine Olsen said...

Ohhh, so sweet - what a wonderful little family you have!! I can hardly wait to come & visit - counting down the days. Sorry you had such a tough time with the delivery & so glad you're feeling better. Esp. happy that your migraines are easing - that's why I DON"T do spinal taps.

Melanie said...

I am a little late but congratulations! I'm glad he is doing so well!