YEAAAHH!!!!!!! After not blogging for weeks I finally have something to talk about! I've been offered admission to the Texas Tech MFT program in Lubbock. It feels soooo good to know we will not be stuck waiting around again like last year. I've got another interview at Seattle Pacific University next Friday, and then it'll be decision making time. However, I'm super-excited about the prospects of going to Lubbock. I left for the interview feeling mediocre at best, Texas is a long way from both our families, and was dry, hot and very very flat. What I found on arriving is that Lubbock is still dry, hot and even flatter than I could have imagined (I still wonder how they tell North from South down there!), but it is also a fantastic place for my future and our family. Many thanks go to the Drake Family for graciously housing me and giving me a feel for the area. They were an important influence as both a current student and as an LDS family living in the area. Thanks Jim and Yvonne! The interview process was awesome, I loved the faculty, current students and members of my prospective cohort. It's hard to describe what it means to "fit" into a program but it felt a little bit like falling in love! Weird I know.
Some things I liked:
A very friendly open faculty, they honestly seemed to like working together. That is a far cry from the feeling I've had at a certain local university.
A very comprehensive program, the training there is top notch.
An easy transition to their PhD program.
There is a temple in Lubbock!!!!!
A great library, I got hooked on good libraries at BYU.
Cheap housing, 3 bedroom 2 bath houses for around $80,000. Compare that to a median housing cost of $330,000 for the Seattle area.
Well, needless to say I'm pretty excited. In other news, BYU has rejected me, so, there is no way we are staying here in Utah.
So, folks, it'll be either Texas, or maybe Seattle, where do you think you would go if you had the choice?
View Larger Map
7 comments:
ummmmmm......let me think about that one! SEATTLE or I will have to kill you. (Although, the home buying pull is a real decision breaker!)
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
Though I must say, family parties just won't be the same without you, Katelyn and the baby. We will have to have a big going away party.
Did you apply to the BYU MFT program or the Psychology grad program?
I always encourage students to go somewhere besides BYU for their graduate school training. You've made a great choice!
-RT
p.s. how do you know Norwegian?
Texas, Texas!
Okay, so actually, my first choice would be Seattle, personally. But, since I may just be moving to Texas, I say Texas!!!
Have fun with the 6 inch cockroaches! :) Now you'll know why I am the way I am....flat lands and moist heat. OH - BUT YOU"LL LOVE THE LIGHTNING STORMS! Or at least I did! How fun!
DEFINITELY TEXAS! Lubbock is a great place. It's not that far from where I am from! Awesome thunderstorms, barely any snow (it's more just a little bit of ice than snow), warmth, oh man it's making me want to go back! :)
Texas! Texas! Texas!
Congrats!!! I would go for the cheaper route...Texas! Although I think Seattle is pretty!
Post a Comment